Thursday, January 1, 2009

Childhood brilliance

I came across an old journal entry from March 15, 2001.

In the almost eight years since writing it, I had forgotten of the brilliance I experienced that day.
I'll transcribe it word for word in order to capture the authenticity of the conversation.

03/15/01

I was witness to an interesting conversation between four children in the car this evening....
the discussion of God vs. Satan.
**(children ages 8, 7, 7 and 6)
Kat "I'm not making any of this stuff up. Most of the time, I tell the truth."
Sierra (on Satan) "I've been scared for five days and now I'm pretty sure I'll be scared five MORE days!"
Andrew (the athlete) "I think God and Jesus are like, a team."
Alexa "I really don't WANT to lie, but I'm pretty sure when I do, Satan makes me do it."

They were in such a deep philosophical discussion, it was almost funny had it not been so serious.

Kat said, "Do you remember when I was four and I started crying that one day? It was because I thought about dying and at first I was scared, but then a peaceful spirit came over me."
(my daughter....the Buddhist)

Sierra said that because she's only six, she's still afraid of dying.

Alexa said she was afraid to get out of the car because of Satan.

I told her that I didn't know her fathers beliefs or even her mothers but if she believed in Satan, she could believe there was also a God that would keep her safe as well. She seemed to like that idea.

When we arrived at my moms house, she wanted to know if Satan was home. They had all scared each other so senseless, they wouldn't get out of the car.

Eventually they (cautiously) got out of the car and are now quietly sitting in front of the TV watching a program about "The Wooly Mammoth".

The power and senses of children amaze me every day.

Four little kids having a seemingly innocent conversation...encapsulating all of the fears and
questions adults struggle with on a daily basis. The difference is that a child will listen to their
heart and let it guide them to the right path. Adults think too much.

We should all spend more time with the young spirit guides.

Little Yodas they are.

3 comments:

Geoff Schutt said...

Or maybe, adults don't think "enough." The children were thinking -- with their heads and their hearts. I find myself thinking too much -- much of the time. But I also still am very aware of my heart. Everything's in tandem, whether the thinking or heart come up with any kind of answer. Sometimes I keep myself up at night, thinking. For me, thinking has become aligned with feeling, if that makes sense. There's a balance most of the time, and sometimes, there's not a balance. As much as I want to be all emotion, throw caution to the wind, the thinking part is what guides and saves, and sometimes -- helps push forward even more.
*
Just a bit of rambling here, in response to another great post, CK.

Geoff Schutt said...

I'm not sure if my comment, above, makes any sense at all. My opinion is that "adults" don't think enough. They don't listen enough. Their hearts are trying to tell them something. They feel something, but ignore it. The thoughts are there, but they ignore the thoughts. Unlike the children in the car, who were so "in tune" with everything, and that included the fear....

Charmaine said...

Geoff,
It makes total sense. And if we DO think about it, maybe it's "the fear" that adults censor..thus setting up roadblocks to the resolutions? Sometimes it's about working through the fear...and not being "afraid of the fear"...if THAT makes sense ;)