Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Divided

Do you ever hurt so much it feels as if your heart is literally gaping open?
Where a word, or a phrase or even the melody of a song can break you into a million
tiny
pieces?
When all you want is to be numb...
fuzz up the corners a little bit...
and go hide out in your room...
under the covers...
away from the world.
Away from people.
Away from everyone.
You want someone to tell you it's all going to be okay
but you know it's not.
How can it be...
with your heart all torn open like that?
You'd sooner die than walk around with your heart in your pocket
or in your purse
or worse yet, on your sleeve....
but we do, don't we?
We collect all of the pieces, gather ourselves up and emerge from the darkness
to do it all over again.
Hoping beyond hope that next time...
it will hurt just a little bit less.

3 comments:

Geoff Schutt said...

It may not hurt any less the next time, but I have to believe we're still better for the experience, and perhaps -- perhaps each time the experience is a little bit better, deeper, life-altering.

I have to have to have to ... believe this.

If so, it's worth the hurting part, if the hurting part has to happen, and sometimes, it doesn't have to happen. Sometimes, even just one time, maybe -- there is no hurt at all.

Charmaine said...

I think you are right Geoff. If I really DO believe that everything happens for a reason...I have to believe that right?

It IS worth it in the long run...
I would rather be deeply sad than ambivalent, you know?

Passion - in all forms- is the spiritfire...

Wherever you go, go with all your heart.

Indeed.

Thanks for your comments...they always mean so much to me.

Charmaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.